New Rocket Attack On Tripoli Airport

Libya's main international airport has been hit by a new rocket attack a day after fighting forced it to close.

At least one person has died and 12 planes have been damaged at Tripoli airport.

A government spokesman said Libya was considering calling for international forces to help re-establish security.

Libyan leaders have struggled to bring stability to the country since Muammar Gaddafi was ousted in 2011, with rival armed groups competing for power.

It is not clear which militia was behind the rocket attack. On Sunday, one armed group tried to seize control of the airport from the Zintan militia, which has controlled it for the past two years.

A security source told the BBC that the airport was attacked by a "large number of rockets, including Grad rockets" on Monday evening.

They said one person from the force protecting the airport had been killed and six others injured and that the control tower had been hit by rocket fire.

All flights to and from the airport have been suspended until at least Wednesday.

Government spokesman Ahmed Lamine said that 90% of the planes stationed at the airport had been destroyed.

"The government has studied the possibility to bring international forces to enhance security," he said at a press conference.

"This would give the government time to build the state and institutions," he added.

He said millions of dollars worth of damage had been caused by the fighting.

The fighting has led the United Nations to announce the withdrawal of all its staff from Libya.

"The mission concluded that it would not be possible to continue its work... while at the same time ensuring the security and safety of its staff" the UN said in a statement.

(BBC)



DLB Desktop
© 2019 Asian Mirror (pvt) Ltd