website hit counter
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Thursday, February 19, 2026

HomeNewsSF Accuses MR of Attempting to Derail War Effort in 2009

SF Accuses MR of Attempting to Derail War Effort in 2009

SF Accuses MR of Attempting to Derail War Effort in 2009

spot_img

Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka has alleged that former President Mahinda Rajapaksa had sought to undermine the final phase of the war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), claiming that efforts were made in May 2009 to facilitate the surrender of LTTE leaders through third-party mediation.

Addressing a media briefing on 18 February, Fonseka released a video which he said detailed discussions allegedly held on 17 May 2009 between Rajapaksa, former Defence Ministry Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa, and Basil Rajapaksa with representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross and Amnesty International.

Fonseka claimed that during those discussions, attempts were made to provide an opportunity for LTTE leaders to surrender to a third party. He said he had not been informed of the meeting, despite being in active command of military operations at the time.

“I was in China at the time but remained in full operational control. I had all communication facilities and continued directing the war effort as if I were in Colombo. Yet I was not informed of these discussions,” Fonseka said.

He maintained that his directive had been clear: to completely eliminate the LTTE. “Our objective was not to negotiate, rescue, or safeguard the LTTE leadership. The war plans were designed to decisively defeat the organisation,” he said.

According to Fonseka, by the night of 16 May 2009, LTTE forces had been confined to an area of approximately 400 by 400 metres near Nandikadal Lagoon, north of Mullaitivu. He asserted that the military was on the verge of concluding operations when the alleged discussions took place.

Fonseka further alleged that if LTTE leaders had been allowed to surrender and survive, Velupillai Prabhakaran could have later emerged in a political role in the Northern and Eastern Provinces.

He also claimed that the journalist who recorded the video he released had subsequently fled the country after alleged attempts were made on his life by individuals linked to the then Defence Secretary. Fonseka said the journalist is currently residing overseas.

The Field Marshal accused the Rajapaksas of attempting to “save” LTTE leaders at a critical stage of the conflict, stating that the military’s ultimate victory on 19 May 2009 prevented such an outcome.

There has been no immediate response from Mahinda Rajapaksa or other members of the Rajapaksa family regarding the allegations.

spot_img

Latest articles

No Gas Shortage, Adequate Stocks Available: Litro

Litro Gas Lanka Limited has assured the public that there will be no gas...

IMF Chief Commends Sri Lanka’s Economic Stabilisation Efforts

The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, Kristalina Georgieva, has commended the Sri...

Deputy Minister Calls on Private Media to Pay Journalists on Time

Deputy Minister of Mass Media Kaushalya Ariyarathna on Tuesday (17) called on private media...

Court Orders Probe to See if Rajangane Thera Still Using Obscene Language

The Colombo Fort Magistrate has directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to conduct an...

More like this

No Gas Shortage, Adequate Stocks Available: Litro

Litro Gas Lanka Limited has assured the public that there will be no gas...

IMF Chief Commends Sri Lanka’s Economic Stabilisation Efforts

The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, Kristalina Georgieva, has commended the Sri...

Deputy Minister Calls on Private Media to Pay Journalists on Time

Deputy Minister of Mass Media Kaushalya Ariyarathna on Tuesday (17) called on private media...