website hit counter
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

HomeNewsPolice to Question Manoj Gamage Over Alleged IS Drone Threat Against Mahinda...

Police to Question Manoj Gamage Over Alleged IS Drone Threat Against Mahinda Rajapaksa

Police to Question Manoj Gamage Over Alleged IS Drone Threat Against Mahinda Rajapaksa

spot_img

Deputy Minister of Public Security Sunil Watagala said that, according to the State Intelligence Service (SIS), there is no risk of a drone attack targeting former President Mahinda Rajapaksa by the Islamic State (IS). Watagala made this announcement during a television program on 26 December, addressing recent claims about threats to Rajapaksa’s life.

Referring to comments made by Manoj Gamage, Vice President of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) Lawyers’ Association, Watagala criticised the claims of a drone-based bomb attack by IS, calling for greater caution when making such statements. “Even if there is a drone attack, the people around Rajapaksa are not equipped to respond to it. The existing T56 rifles are unsuitable for dealing with drones,” he remarked.

Watagala also revealed that the Inspector General of Police (IGP) plans to question Gamage regarding his remarks. “When Manoj Gamage makes a statement, he must do so carefully. Misinformation can mislead the entire society,” he added.

Manoj Gamage previously claimed that Rajapaksa has received death threats from IS terrorists, LTTE remnants, and underworld groups. He criticised the recent withdrawal of military officers from Rajapaksa’s security detail, which he argued compromises the former President’s safety. Gamage cited what he claimed was a report by Superintendent of Police M.S.D. Wickramasinghe, submitted to the Presidential Security Committee allegedly on 10 October 2024, highlighting these threats, including the possibility of a drone attack.

In response, Watagala assured that security arrangements for the former President are based on intelligence assessments and can be revised if deemed necessary. “There is no drone attack identified by our intelligence agencies. Decisions are made following proper evaluations, and we are open to reconsidering if the situation changes,” he said.

spot_img

Latest articles

‘Show proof’: Muruththettuwe Ananda Thera says he interacts with 45k women

Venerable Muruththettuwe Ananda Thera has rejected allegations circulating on social media regarding his association...

Lanka Sugar Chairperson resigns citing political pressure

Sandamali Chandrasekera has tendered her resignation as Chairperson of Lanka Sugar Company (Pvt) Ltd...

Pathfinder sets up ‘Entsuji Room’ for Japan Studies initiative

The Pathfinder Foundation has established the ‘Entsuji Room’, a dedicated Japan-themed space at its...

Notice issued to Maithree Wickramasinghe to appear before FCID

Maithree Wickramasinghe, wife of former President Ranil Wickremesinghe, has been notified to appear before...

More like this

‘Show proof’: Muruththettuwe Ananda Thera says he interacts with 45k women

Venerable Muruththettuwe Ananda Thera has rejected allegations circulating on social media regarding his association...

Lanka Sugar Chairperson resigns citing political pressure

Sandamali Chandrasekera has tendered her resignation as Chairperson of Lanka Sugar Company (Pvt) Ltd...

Pathfinder sets up ‘Entsuji Room’ for Japan Studies initiative

The Pathfinder Foundation has established the ‘Entsuji Room’, a dedicated Japan-themed space at its...