website hit counter
Sunday, August 31, 2025
Sunday, August 31, 2025

HomeNewsMissing Rs 7.5M at CID: No Immediate Arrest for Ex-DIG, Court Told

Missing Rs 7.5M at CID: No Immediate Arrest for Ex-DIG, Court Told

Missing Rs 7.5M at CID: No Immediate Arrest for Ex-DIG, Court Told

spot_img

The Colombo Magistrate’s Court was informed today (22) that the Bribery Commission currently sees no need to arrest the CID’s retired DIG Rohan Premaratne, in relation to an ongoing financial fraud investigation.

This update was provided by a CIABOC representative during a hearing on Premaratne’s anticipatory bail application. The application had been filed seeking legal protection in the event of a potential arrest.

Following this, the Magistrate directed Premaratne’s counsel that the retired DIG must appear before the Bribery Commission to provide a statement regarding the matter.

The Bribery Commission also dismissed media claims suggesting that CIABOC officials had visited Premaratne’s residence, clarifying in court that no such visit had taken place. Premaratne himself had earlier denied those reports.

The investigation centres around a financial fraud of Rs. 7.5 million, allegedly linked to Premaratne. The money had originally been confiscated during a 2021 arrest of a group of Nigerian nationals in Dehiwala, while Premaratne was serving as the CID DIG. The Kelaniya Divisional Crime Detective Bureau had handed over the seized amount to the CID as court evidence.

Authorities are now investigating the disappearance of the Rs. 7.5 million.

spot_img

Latest articles

Indonesian Police Officers Felicitated for Kehelbaddara Padme Arrest Operation

Commemorative plaques were presented to Indonesian police officers who played a key role in...

Police Team to Bring Back Kehelbaddara Padme, others from Indonesia

A special police team is scheduled to leave for Indonesia today (30) to escort...

Teen Remanded for Brutal Attack on Dog in Nanuoya

A 17-year-old youth from Edimbrough Estate, Nanuoya, has been remanded until 10 September after...

Gazette to Make Seat Belts Compulsory on Highway Buses on 31 August

A gazette notification making it compulsory for passengers traveling in buses on expressways to...

More like this

Indonesian Police Officers Felicitated for Kehelbaddara Padme Arrest Operation

Commemorative plaques were presented to Indonesian police officers who played a key role in...

Police Team to Bring Back Kehelbaddara Padme, others from Indonesia

A special police team is scheduled to leave for Indonesia today (30) to escort...

Teen Remanded for Brutal Attack on Dog in Nanuoya

A 17-year-old youth from Edimbrough Estate, Nanuoya, has been remanded until 10 September after...