19-Year-Old Woman Critically Injured Due To Gas Cylinder Explosion Dies In Polonnaruwa Hospital

November 26, 2021

A 19-year-old married woman who was receiving treatment at the Colombo General Hospital for 12 days after a gas cylinder exploded in a house in Welikanda Sandunpitiya village in Polonnaruwa has died last evening (25), Welikanda Police said.

The deceased has been identified as B.G, Ayesha Kumuduni, a resident of No. 68, Sandunpitiya.

Police investigations have revealed that the gas cylinder had exploded when she went to light the gas stove in the kitchen of the house on the 13th and tried to light it with a match as it was not lit.

No one else was at home at the time of the incident and neighbors rushed her to the Welikanda Regional Hospital where a fire broke out in the kitchen.

The residents have lodged a complaint with the Welikanda Police in relation to the fire and the body has been handed over to relatives for cremation today, Welikanda OIC Samantha Rathnayake said.

© 2019 Asian Mirror (pvt) Ltd