HomeNewsProbe launched into Negombo Prison clash that left two inmates dead

Probe launched into Negombo Prison clash that left two inmates dead

spot_img

An investigation has been launched into the clash between two groups of inmates at Negombo Prison that left two prisoners dead and dozens injured.

Prisons Commissioner and Media Spokesman A.C. Gajanayake said the Commissioner General of Prisons had appointed a special investigation team to probe the incident.

The clash broke out at around 1 p.m. on Saturday (5) between a group of remand prisoners and a group of convicted inmates, according to Police.

Two inmates were killed in the violence, while 34 others were admitted to the Negombo District General Hospital with injuries. Two of the injured, who sustained serious injuries, were later transferred to the National Hospital of Sri Lanka in Colombo for further treatment.

Following the clash, a group of inmates climbed onto the roof of a prison building in protest. Four additional inmates were hospitalised after falling from the roof during the demonstration.

Prison officials, the Police, the Special Task Force and the Sri Lanka Army were deployed to bring the situation under control and strengthen security in and around the prison.

Gajanayake said 36 inmates had initially been hospitalised following the clash, two of whom later succumbed to their injuries, while three others who received treatment had been transferred to the Pallansena prison camp.

He said Negombo Prison currently houses 2,417 inmates and that the situation inside the prison had since been brought under control by prison officials, while external security continued to be maintained by the Police, STF and the Army.

Gajanayake stressed that the incident was solely a clash between inmates and that no prison officers were involved.

He also appealed to the relatives of inmates not to panic, assuring them that the situation had been stabilised.

According to Gajanayake, the inmates had also submitted several requests to the Commissioner General of Prisons, who had informed them that those concerns would be looked into.

spot_img

Latest articles

Sajith Will Be the Next President with Ranil’s Blessings: Harshana

SJB MP Harshana Rajakaruna has expressed confidence that former President Ranil Wickremesinghe will support...

Minimum Age for Three-Wheeler Driving Will Be Raised to 40: Nalin Hewage

The Government is considering raising the minimum age for engaging in three-wheeler passenger transport...

Fort Magistrate Reports Wimal, Dilith, Gammanpila to Appeal Court Over Alleged Contempt

The Fort Magistrate’s Court has reported to the Court of Appeal allegations that several...

Sallay’s Wife Appeals to President to End CID Detention

The wife of retired Major General Suresh Sallay, who remains in the custody of...

More like this

Sajith Will Be the Next President with Ranil’s Blessings: Harshana

SJB MP Harshana Rajakaruna has expressed confidence that former President Ranil Wickremesinghe will support...

Minimum Age for Three-Wheeler Driving Will Be Raised to 40: Nalin Hewage

The Government is considering raising the minimum age for engaging in three-wheeler passenger transport...

Fort Magistrate Reports Wimal, Dilith, Gammanpila to Appeal Court Over Alleged Contempt

The Fort Magistrate’s Court has reported to the Court of Appeal allegations that several...