Thirteen Dead, 175 Injured As Magnitude 7 Quake Rattles Sichuan

A magnitude-7 earthquake in China’s southwestern Sichuan province on Tuesday night has claimed at least 13 lives and caused 175 injuries, according to figures released by the provincial government. The epicentre of the quake was near Jiuzhaigou National Park, which said it had 38,799 visitors on Tuesday. More than 31,500 tourists in the region had been moved to safe locations, said the government of Aba Prefecture, where the park is located.

The quake zone might see aftershocks that reach magnitude 6.0, according to the China Earthquake Administration. At least one foreign tourist is reported among the injured, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency. Hong Kong’s immigration department confirmed it is has been unable to communicate with three Hong Kong tourists in the area.

Sichuan is vulnerable to geological disasters and has had deadly quakes in the past. A magnitude-8 quake in May 2008 killed nearly 70,000 people, while a 6.6-magnitude quake claimed close to 200 lives in April 2013.

Courtesy:South China Morning Post

© 2017 Asian Mirror (pvt) Ltd