US Swimmer Lochte Faces 10-month Suspension

September 08, 2016

Unverified media reports say that the 32-year old star swimmer has been suspended until mid-2017.

The daily "USA Today" newspaper cited a person with knowledge of the situation that Lochte would also be banned from the 2017 World Championships in Budapest.

Lochte's suspension was first reported by the TMZ.com entertainment news website. USA Today said a statement confirming the suspension would be issued later on Thursday.

A United States Olympic Committee (USOC) spokesman declined to confirm the reports when contacted by the French news agency AFP for comment.

TMZ.com reported that the three other swimmers involved in the escapade have also been suspended for varying periods up to four months.

A 12-time Olympic medalist, Lochte has lost several sponsorship deals in the fallout since Rio.

He was charged by Brazilian police last month with making a false report about being robbed at gunpoint during a night out.

Lochte is now seeking to rehabilitate his public image with an appearance on an upcoming season of the reality show "Dancing With the Stars" and has apologized for his behavior. "I'm taking full responsibility for it," Lochte said in a television interview.

(DW)



© 2019 Asian Mirror (pvt) Ltd