HomeSportsThree Afghan Cricketers Killed in Pakistan Air Strike

Three Afghan Cricketers Killed in Pakistan Air Strike

spot_img

The Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) has announced its decision to withdraw from the upcoming tri-nation T20 series involving Pakistan and Sri Lanka, following the deaths of three Afghan domestic cricketers in airstrikes allegedly carried out by Pakistan’s military regime in Paktika province.

In a statement shared on social media, the ACB condemned the incident, describing it as “a cowardly attack carried out by the Pakistani regime.”

Afghanistan had been scheduled to participate in the tri-series, also featuring Sri Lanka, in Lahore and Rawalpindi from November 5 to 29.

Afghanistan cricket team captain Rashid Khan issued a strongly worded statement condemning the “barbaric” airstrikes and said he supported Afghanistan’s decision to withdraw from the tri-series.

“In this heartbreaking incident, three players (Kabeer, Sibghatullah and Haroon) alongside 5 other fellow countrymen from Urgun District were martyred, and seven others were injured,” the ACB said in a statement on Saturday.

Tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan have been escalating since October 11, when fierce border clashes broke out after Afghan forces reportedly attacked several Pakistani military posts.

The fighting, which has left dozens dead on both sides, led to a short-lived 48-hour ceasefire that was later broken after Pakistan allegedly carried out airstrikes in Afghanistan’s Paktika province, hitting residential areas in Argun and Bermal districts along the Durand Line. The Taliban condemned the strikes as a violation of the truce, while delegations from both countries were in Doha for talks aimed at easing the crisis.

“The players had earlier traveled to Sharana, the capital of Paktika province, to participate in a friendly cricket match. After returning home to Urgun, they were targeted during a gathering. The ACB considers this a great loss for Afghanistan’s sports community, its athletes, and the cricketing family,” the ACB statement added.

“The ACB also extends its deepest condolences and solidarity to the bereaved families of the martyrs and to the people of Paktika Province.

“In response of this tragic incident and as a gesture of respect to the victims, the Afghanistan Cricket Board has decided to withdraw from participating in the upcoming Tri-Nation T20I Series involving Pakistan, scheduled to be played in late November.” (India Today)

spot_img

Latest articles

Man Arrested After Viral Video Shows Assault of Two Children

A 26-year-old man has been arrested by Pinnawala Police over the alleged assault of...

Dart Global Opens State-of-the-Art Logistics Centre in Sri Lanka

DGL Free Zone (Pvt) Ltd., a purpose-built, 135,000 sq. ft. facility was officially opened...

Namal Rajapaksa Appears Before FCID

Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa appeared before the Police Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) today (21). He...

Police Clearance Certificate System Down Since Thursday

Sri Lanka Police has temporarily suspended the issuance of Police Clearance Certificates following a...

More like this

Cristiano Ronaldo marries Georgina Rodríguez after 10 years together

Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez are officially married. The Portuguese football superstar, 41, has tied...

South Asia’s Fastest Man Yupun Abeykoon Retires from Athletics

Sri Lanka's sprint star Yupun Abeykoon, widely regarded as South Asia's fastest man, has...

World Cup 2026 final in photos: Spain triumphs as football crowns a new champion

Spain reclaimed football’s biggest prize on Sunday, defeating Argentina 1-0 after extra time in...